Reply To: Variance…

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Variance… Reply To: Variance…

oldschoolc
Participant

Drpaul,
I read your post on your situation, sounds like you are now up to your “!@# in alligators, trying to remember the primary objective is to drain the swamp” Humor some times helps:)

The sets we use are more of a Parametric System approach. Same damn principle; swim at race pace for as many repeats as you can and do more than you did the last time. The two differences are controlling the number offered and aerobic swimming (pulling, kicking and whatever else they have you do. We dropped all that back in 90s). Numbers; USRPT is 20-30 x 25, etc. and record numbers. With the Parmetric System you progressive move numbers i.e. week 1 would be 6 x 25 on 1:00, the following week might be 8 x 25, moving the numbers and is based on how the athletes are doing and are they making them or are they having problems. So with a VERY fundamental understanding here are the sets.

Senior swimmers do: They will do 3 sets per day and QUALITY OF MOVEMENT sets/TECHNIQUE between sets
n x 25 on 1:00, fr & stk
n x 50 on 2:00, fr & stk
n x 50 on 1:00, fr & stk (can be modified to 1:10 for Br/Fl)
n x 75/100 on 2:00 fr & stk
n x 150/200 with :30 rest fr
Distance kids may also go:
n x 400 fr with :15 rest

Early season they will go 1:30 to 1:40 practice time and as numbers progress will be in the 1:50 to 2:00 hours per workout. Which makes total since as they become more “fit” they can do more.

Age groupers: This is what we call the “IM protocol” The interval is going to be controlled by ability and the amount of time you have for practice. ” We train for the IM” can’t tell you how many times I hear that from age group coaches and when asked about what sets they do “they don’t have a clue”

They will do 1 to 2 sets per workout depending on how they are doing with quality of movement and speed. My age group coaches have a good feel for when the wheels are about to come flying off the wagon and always have a quality of movement set ready to go.

n x 25 fl
n x 50 ba
n x 50 br
n x 75/100 as fr

it’s a simple game. Once you understand the rules.

"Only in America. Dream in red, white and blue"