Reply To: U.S. Question, is interval for 50yd repeat length for 500 free too long?

Home Forums General USRPT Topics U.S. Question, is interval for 50yd repeat length for 500 free too long? Reply To: U.S. Question, is interval for 50yd repeat length for 500 free too long?

oldschoolc
Participant

We do a no-no in USRPT and we test. About three weeks out of our championship performance we’ll do 4 x 25, 6 x 50, 5 x 100 done stroke and free (3 x 200 and 3 x 400 free, if I have distance kids). The goal is to be faster than the swimmer’s current average. I’ll record every time for each repeat and figure Stdev. They will have at least two to three opportunities in the last three weeks to lower average/Stdev. This is really the 2nd strategy of the Parametric System. “The distance is now constant, speed is increasing” This is what Dr. Beliaev was discussing in his SW review about USRPT and what it leaves out with regards to integration of the systems. I have had a number of coaches’ reply off-forum about “my kids can swim forever at that speed. But just can’t seem to get up and GO! And I really think that is a problem with USRPT.

Nice! Picking up on “swimmers going faster than their mean …” Yes! You can use it to develop a range that the swimmer will possibly swim in which is 1. Average minus deviation 2. They hold their average and 3. Average plus deviation. If we use my example from the last post she would have had a range of 33.85 to 34.79. What it does is give the coach an idea based on data and not on some time the swimmer went back in December to try and come up with a performance projection. There are about five ways a swimmer will put races together using the average, average plus or minus.

Please don’t get me wrong I’m not against USRPT. I believe Dr. Rushall gives coaches a structure to work in when none really existed. Most of what coaches get is bits and pieces and most of it anecdotal information from some clinic that coaches paid good money for and really didn’t get much of anything. I have probably been to over 30 clinics and I can tell you only three gave me any objective information that I could actually take back and use and we’re not talking about some set so and so did in June of 1992.

Sorry for the soapbox

Oldschool

"Only in America. Dream in red, white and blue"