Reply To: Training in SCY and racing in LCM

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Training in SCY and racing in LCM Reply To: Training in SCY and racing in LCM

Participant

Hi All,

I have re-read Bulletin #47. The following paragraph got my full attention:

If the team is able to train in a short-course pool, only short-course times should be used. Shortcourse
swimming is faster than long-course swimming and so swimming fastest is preferable… Long-course times
should never be swum in a short-course pool because they actually will be slower than the desirable
long-course repetition time.

I subsequently have a few questions:

1. Could someone please explain to me (preferably with a worked example) how swimming USRPT long-course times in a short-course pool is counter-productive and is slower than the desirable repetition time.

2. If a swimmer only competes in LC pools, how do they calculate their target repetition time for a USRPT set to be swum in a SC pool? (Can the LC be converted using LC:SC conversion ratios, or is their another, more precise method?)

I assume this may only be a problem when a swimmer swims a significant Personal Best (PB) time after training at a certain RP-velocity. For example, a swimmer has been training at 2:20.00 pace for 200m freestyle. They swim a new PB time of 2:12.00 in a LC pool. How should the swimmer calculate their new target repetition time?
Assuming they hadn’t swum the PB, their target repetition time may have gradually been reduced to around 2:16.00 pace. from just training and having a training effect. With the new PB they should obviously be swimming at 2:12.00 pace or faster for repetitions in subsequent USRPT sets. But would they actually be swimming slower than the desired pace (not practicing a faster technique velocity) if they used that new LC PB to calculate their target repetition time? How should this be correctly calculated?

Cheers