Reply To: Longer rest intervals

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Longer rest intervals Reply To: Longer rest intervals

Participant

Try and give some thoughts to both posts.

Billratio, Nice. It’s fun when you start to see the picture in the puzzle. It’s been there all along just needed to look at it differently. You will add so much more value to practice and when the kids get it. It’s a blast. Sure beats guessing or not even having a clue.

again nice job!

Rick,
For the girl swimming the 200. You could test 6 x 50 on 1:00 figure avg and stdev (this would be roughly 50s 2, 3 and 4 of 200). Keep the 4 x 50 on 2 as this is very close to what they go out in for the 200 and also 2nd 50 of 100 (kinda a bonus, 2 times from 1 set) I’d guess had you done 6 x 50 test she would have been closer to the 28s. You can also do 3 x 100 on 2:00 for free (if you do it in stroke I’d do 75s better speed and quality of movement) and it should come very close to her back 1/2 100 of the 200. If I read the post correctly you took her 4 x 50 on 2 time and had her try and hold that with 20 rest? Better believe she’s not going to make many and the wheels will spin off the wagon. The boat is sinking. She is probably VERY thankful you had this paradigm shift.

Years ago I spoke with PhD types from USA Swimming, East Germany and a few other countries and almost to a person they believed that holding the time was the most important thing and that you adjust the rest interval so that it’s on the shortest possible interval that allows them to hold the time. i.e. 4 x 50 on 2:00, could be 1:30 or 1:20, etc. as long as they can hold the time.

I think, not knowing anything about your 4 kids, that you are making the right decision.
I’m coaching college now and have a couple of kids (internationals) that believe that “more work” is somehow the answer to getting faster. I finally convinced one to drop down and improve his speed and guess what he went faster. I just tell them I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Again I think you are making the right move.

Keep us posted

oldschool

? I child proofed my house and they still get in 🙂