Reply To: Transitioning

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Transitioning Reply To: Transitioning

doc
Participant

Knglenny,
Boat load of questions here.

Not sure I understand ” fresh” the system will keep them fresh. When they can no longer hold pace they get to stop. If you have them keep on going for whatever reason then good luck.

Workouts: I know that is what you wrote. What did they accomplish? i.e. of the 16 x 25 the average made was? Again, I get you wrote it. but how much of it did they make? I really have a hard time believing that kids new to the program/system are making everything. If they are then the speeds are to slow.

If you are just starting out. Your beginning numbers are a little high and are mentally hard on the swimmer because they think that they have to complete all of them or they failed. Control them in 2 week increases adding 2-4 depending on how the swimmers are doing with the work offered. (the ART of COACHING)

4 x 25 on 1:00, should be 4-8 starting out.
6 x 50 on 1:00, should be 6-12 range.
3 x 100 on 2:00, should be in the 3-9 range. This may take 4-5 weeks to get to 9.
3 x 200 :30 rest, should be in the same range of 100s and will take as long.
2 x 400 :15 rest, should be in the 2-6 range, if you have distance swimmers.

This is NOT some over night adaption curve that in a week will have kids swimming best times. It takes time for them to adapt to the training.

I took over as Director of Performance for a college program with kids that were some what use to swimming at race pace. But had a recovery day in between and now have NO recovery days and they swim 3 and sometimes 4 race pace sets in a workout and really have no complaints. Sure they are tired. We just came thru a stretch where we had 3 meets in 3 consecutive weekends, traveled over 5,300 miles in two weeks and all swimmers swam within 3% of LTB each weekend.

Just some thoughts,

oldschool

? All that is not shared... is lost.