Reply To: Transitioning

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Transitioning Reply To: Transitioning

billratiobillratio
Participant

Okay, I’m back now. One other note/story on the pace thing.

I’ll use my top 100 girl as an example. She came back this season in much better shape than last year. Started out able to make good numbers at 13.75 and with a lifetime best of 55.3 that was technically her pace. She quickly reached the point (within 2 weeks) where she could hold 13.75 or faster for extremely high numbers. Pretty much never had to sit. Even though her best time was still 55.3 we moved her pace down. We’ve kept moving it down even though her best time is 54.9 now so she really only would need to swim 13.75 to be at her pace.

Yesterday in a test set she swam 30×25 @:40 all at 13.25 or faster. That’s the best set she’s done all season but she’s holding under 13.5 consistently. We’re probably going to need to move her pace down if she comes in next week holding 13.25 for big numbers again. I don’t expect her to swim a 53 at any of our next 3 meets but when we rest and put a suit on for sections I’d be very disappointed if she doesn’t do it.

So here is my main point/thought. You don’t necessarily want to have everyone swimming at “best time race pace.” You need to be swimming at a pace that will create failure. If they don’t reach the point of failure there will be no training effect. For a swimmer that can hold 33.5 on 50s for 40×50 and not have a problem with it, they need to be at a much faster pace. If a swimmer is holding 12.0 on her 25s and never failing, ask them to hold 11.75 or else sit out. We determine pace more based on what they are doing in practice than on what their times are. You need to keep everyone failing. Oldschool says if they complete a set twice at a certain pace then they have mastered that pace and are ready to move on.

I think that could also be the reason for exhaustion if they are swimming at a pace that is too easy and completing tons of yards without failure. I suppose our other option would have been to lower the interval but that isn’t the way we have gone. I guess we’ll see at sections how it works out.

"Most people have the will to win. Few have the will to prepare to win."