Reply To: Issue is Progression

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Issue is Progression Reply To: Issue is Progression

Participant

Some thoughts not really directed at anyone, just thoughts.

Why even set a number? Why not just have their “training pace”, an example might be 2nd 50 of 100 for “50s on 2:00”, see how many they can do at that pace. Track the number done and after a couple of times through the set they will develop an average number made for the set. (Hint: Excel) Then use the average number as a guide for increases and say “try for two above average” for some with an average of 4, they go for 6 and others may be going for 8, just depends on their average. I think that more closely follows the Principles of Progressive Overload and Specificity and would also allow for better individualization. Whether we like it or not, if you have 20+ kids in a group you have 20+ individualized adaptation rates.

I’ve actually being doing this with the kids this summer and at first it was sheer mental anguish on their part! They were so locked in on having a number 16 x 50 on 1:00, and when it was just 50s on 1:00, lord you would have thought the world was coming to an end. The number of times I had the question “How many do we have to do?” was mind numbing. I just kept repeating “as many as you can at that pace” Guess what they actually got the hang of it. Now they just come in look at workout, see how many they made last time and get in and try to improve on that number. They have really taken ownership of their work.

just thinking

? I child proofed my house and they still get in 🙂