Reply To: Location and USRPT Status
Your thoughts on the HS boys are logical or “good idea”. If you can keep their current speed up the better. Don’t give them 30 x 25 on :30 or 20 x 50 on 10 sec rest, just freaks the shit out of kids (they have accumulated potential). I would control the number say 10 x 25 on 1:00 or 9-12 50s on 1:00 or 8-10 x 50s on 2:00. Then the next time you run the set go with maybe 12 x 25 and 11-13 x 50s. Hopefully, they went fast at HS meets and use those speeds for the sets. Its quick, down and dirty way, plus it saves you a boat load of time figuring out times for each swimmer.
With regards to your second question. Capacity vs. Utilization, it is actually Accumulation & Utilization it was taken from Dr. Sergei Gordon in the development of the Parametric System. I know Bowman and others use “capacity” and that has become the new “buzz word” But he just high jacked it from the Parametric System and rephrased it. I will add with out recognizing where he got it from! It’s not an original thought!
What adaptations comes from “Capacity or Accumulation of Potential” (actual Russian phraseology)?
1. Increases in collateral circulation.
2. Increases in mitochondrial density.
3. Increases in respiratory functions.
4. CNS, namely its neuromuscular co-ordination SPECIFIC to endurance activities.
5. Requires vast amounts of energy not only from a fuel standpoint. But socially, physically and emotionally and the list could go on.
Then what adaptations occur in the Parametric System Training? The same adaptations occur. Less the vast amounts of energy expended.
The question then becomes, if both make the same adaptations then where’s the advantage with traditional training or more work at sub race speeds?
My questions are:
1. Why would you want to spend 2+ hours per day doing something that you can get done in 1.5 hours or less?
2. Are 4 x 25 on :30/1:00, the same as 20 x 25 on :30/1:00?
3. Are 6 x 50 on 1:00, the same as 16 x 50 on 1:00?
4. 4 x 100, the same as 16-20 x 100?
If you understand how the body handles work this is a no brainer! Constantly rehearse key points of your race.
Race pace practice sets are constant rehearsal of your race (tempo, finish, pace…). Last 15y/m in a race is trained behavior – You must practice those last 15y/m repeatedly. If you are trying to entertaining them.Then have them stay home and watch TV.
Train to race, don’t train to train.
Food for thought,
? All that is not shared... is lost.