Reply To: Target time for 100Free LCM

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Target time for 100Free LCM Reply To: Target time for 100Free LCM

ryanupper
Participant

Paul,

Good analysis. He’s past the neurological adaptations. He’s probably inducing some technical adaptations along with natural growth. I’m assuming you’re using the macrocycle technique guide. For stressed growth, he’ll probably need more training time.

To expand on the warmup comment above and in USRPT literature:

Heart stroke rate will rise within 20 seconds of moderate-to-heavy work.
VO2 kinetics begin to peak at about 40-50 seconds for trained athletes.
Heart stroke volume will increase after about 2 minutes of m-to-h work.
Blood viscosity will decrease and core temp will increase after 2-3 minutes of m-to-h work.
VO2 optimization occurs after about 6 minutes of either continuous work or interval work where rest is less than 22 seconds.
Muscle activation and technical coordination, at intended velocity, requires at least 4 repetitions (in this case swim reps, i.e. 15’s, 25’s, 50’s etc.).
Blood viscosity and core temperature will slowly return to baseline for 20-30 minutes after warmup or race. This is generally where the “less than 20 min before the race” rule is from.
Heart stroke volume will be optimized for up to an hour after warmup.
Muscle activation (motor unit “memory”) for the intended velocity will be optimized for 2-4 hours after warmup.

At a minimum, an athlete needs 6 minutes of m-to-h work. This can simply be a 200 swim followed by 4 x [interval training distance @ target time] reps. For sprints keep the distance below 15y/m to decrease the chance of glycogen usage. For a 200 use 4 x 50. This is a minimum; if the 4th rep feels sloppy or respiration is in a moderate range do a couple more reps.

Of course, they should do some dives before the meet or during if available.

I think one of the most important parts of the meet warmup is timing the first stroke of the breakout. I always need to adjust to different pool depths. Both for the underwater kick depth and the visual relationship between the pool bottom and when I’m about to “breach” the surface.

Ryan