Race based training vs usrpt

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Race based training vs usrpt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Flyingboy
    Participant

We are new to usrpt and use a typical distance program.

My question is: would racing their specific event twice a week benefit the swimmer as opposed to pure usrpt?

For example:
    Racing for pb a 200im or 200m back, in so doing simulating a race thereby building muscle memory in addition to a standard distance program.

Thanks for a great site.

dmuecke
    Participant

Are you trying to race the full distance in training?

Flyingboy
    Participant

Yes.

dmuecke
    Participant

If you can create an environment where your swimmer can simulate races that would be beneficial. USRPT doesn’t prevent you from experimenting. And it’s also not correct to assume that everything not mentioned in USRPT bulletins should be avoided. Sometimes it’s worth to go to http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/ read the abstracts yourself and draw your own conclusion.

Marlin
    Participant

Flyingboy,

Going a pb in practice is awfully difficult. But if they can do it, I don’t think it would hurt to do every once in a while. It would be a good confidence booster if nothing else. It seems like traditional distance training swimmers need rest to go a pb but I wouldn’t say it’s impossible. Chad le Clos used to do 10,000 meter practices in between prelims and finals at the world cup meets. He would still throw down some nasty times not that far off from his pb and get better week to week leading up to world champs. Perhaps he should have raced more leading up to the Olympics. Idk it’s hard to say if it would have made a difference.

I have tried to go pb’s in practice in 100’s. Even if I do a proper warm up and then do the 100 first thing, I still have no chance of going a pb. I have trouble hitting the first 50 speed without any rest. If I really push it to get out as fast as I need to, it doesn’t end well.

One thing I like to do for fun every once in a while is a 75 from a push trying to hit the pace of the last 75 race speed of a 100. I can hit this in practice. Since it’s an odd ball distance and only swum in practice, there is always a chance to go a pb.

Maybe you could try 75’s for 100’s and 150’s for 200’s and see what you get.

doc
    Participant

Flyingboy,
    A standard we use is be within 3% of LTB for all time trials or dual meet performances. If they can stay at or under 3% we feel they are race ready (simple unload and should swim fast) and training is balanced. If they are outside that say 5% that brings out “red flags” so to speak. We’ll go back and evaluate training, attendance and mental conditioning.

just food for thought.

? All that is not shared... is lost.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.