Race data to training

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Race data to training

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    doc
    Participant

Actual vs.training.

50m ba “n x 25stk on 2′” 29.93 TP and RS 29.97 (BT on one day rest)

100m br “n x 25stk on 1:00” 28.83 TP with RS 28.86 and “n x 50stk on 2:00” 32.81 TP with 32.53 RS (was .07, off BT from 3 wks. ago)

TP is training pace and RS is race split

Reminder all TP paces are timed from a push (KIS)

Just tinkering 🙂

? All that is not shared... is lost.

kevin
    Participant

@doc: what’s BT?

edit: ah, you mean personal best, right?

kevin
    Participant

would you mind sharing their progress on a longer term.

– What was ‘n’ 6 months ago vs. now?
    – How many times did you schedule nx25 on 2′ and on 1′ and nx50 on 2′ per week over the last months?

doc
    Participant

Kevin,
    You got it! BT is “best time”. Some use PB.

6 months ago we were just starting the college season and swimming yards. I had never seen these kids and had really no idea what they could actually do or not do. Spent a tremendous! amount of time teaching them the system.

With regards to the number of times I schedule the sets you asked about. The Sprint group would do them 6 to 8 times a week. So, pretty much every day. The Mid-Dist. kids where 4-6 and Dist. 2 to 3 (very one needs speed) Your 500 will not get faster, if your 100 and 200 don’t progress.

Just an FYI. For those that are trying to reach the max. number Dr. Rushall has published. You will swim them right out of speed. If you understand how the body treats exercise you will figure it out. The Aussie Coach Bernie Wakefield(now deceased), years ago wrote an article about “endurance thru speed” that you start with speed and progressively move it to endurance. Sound familiar? Think!

kevin
    Participant

@doc: there’s a new bulletin from Rushall. I’ve only skimmed it, but he mentions the values he cites are “guesses”, not scientifically determined values. I usually aim for 3-4 times the race distance. Very occasionally I offer up to 5x.

Marlin
    Participant

Doc,

I’m still blown away by not the low number made per set but the low amount of sets per event that some of your guys are doing. Your top 1/2 flyer in particular. You wrote that he did nx50 on 2:00 22 times in 22 weeks and nx50 on 1:00 20 times in 22 weeks. From the looks of the nx25 on 1:00 spreadsheet, he is only hitting that set 1 or 2 times per week. And I guess he’s doing a little bit of work for the 50 fly in the 200 medley relay? That seems like such a low amount of fly sets offered for someone whose best two events are the 1 and 2 fly. How anyone can go 1:42 doing one set per week for 50’s 2,3,4 just blows my mind. I suppose he is getting in additional mid d sets for the 2 free or 2im but still, I would have expected him to be going 50’s at 200 fly pace 3 times per week. Just one set per week on your main event and having the tp correlate with the rp is awesome.

For your sprinters that only swim 50’s and 100’s, do you ever have them do 50’s on 1:00 at 200 pace? I’m talking about the people that are never going to swim a 200 at a conference or championship meet but are still trying to have a great 100 not just a 50, is it necessary for them to put in any 200 work?

doc
    Participant

Marlin,
    He swims a boat load of fly. He was n x 25 on 1:00 and n x 25 on 2:00 (pwr) and n x 100s at back 1/2 200 pace (that set hurts like !@#$ and not many enjoy it). Plus he is a 1:51.23 2 IMer and so we have those strokes we have to address. So every day he will have 3 protocol sets he has to work on and all at race specific paces with a focus on underwater work, turn speeds and surface swimming skills i.e tempo and cycles. Funny thing is he was a non-believer starting out and now really tough to argue it won’t work.

After years now of recording data and trying to make a correlation from training to race. I’m starting to think “you really don’t have to do that much volume to create an adaption”. But it has to be as specific as you can get and you have to rehearse it damn near very day with some segment of the race and the big one “YOU HAVE TO LET THEM STOP WHEN THEY CAN’T HOLD PACE”.

The “drop dead guys” that need a lap counter to swim the 200. Yes, they will swim 50s on 1:00, they don’t really get to high numbers on them (controlled by me) as you have to be careful or you will swim the speed right out of them. I’ll do things like “swim 8 in a row at TP and you can stop” They like the challenge and they will even admit they like to feel the “sting”. Not a lot but a little 🙂 It also gives the Mid-Distance and Distance group something to give them !@#$ about:)

Hope this helps,
    Doc

kevin
    Participant

@doc: how much rest do you provide for nx100 back half 200 speed?

doc
    Participant

They are on 2:00. I’ve tried 1:30, but man the technical skills go right out the window FAST.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.