Reply To: Teams first full USRPT practice & some questions?

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Teams first full USRPT practice & some questions? Reply To: Teams first full USRPT practice & some questions?

crmejean
Participant

Great discussion! In addition to the implementation process, Rushall’s paper #47 “Step by Step USRPT Planning” is a great resource. We started doing a classroom training on technique for a specific stroke before we get in the water. We work on that technique after warm-up. We then do 2-3 USRPT sets with recoveries inbetween and then warm-down. Our sets are 3-5 times the distance of the event. To decide what events to train, I developed a spreadsheet. I have all events listed. The next two columns indicate which swimmers are entering those events in the next two meets. I then have a column for each swimmer for each day of the week. Keep in mind I only have three swimmers to track. I color code each block for the race we are training. This helps me visualize what I need to train next. We typically repeat sets two days in a row. This week, we approached it from an IM standpoint. We did BR/FR two days, distance freestyle today, and will do Fly/BK the next two days. Monday started with technique. Tuesday, we did our two sets, then the third set was 12-50s BR/FR. I used their IM splits to set targets. They did 25 BR & 25 FR. My kids loved this set and felt practicing the turns was very helpful. I will increase this set to 16-50s next time, and then probably alternate that with 20-50s depending on the distance of the other sets. Today we did 100s to train for the 1500. Tomorrow and Friday, we will do the same with Fly and BK as we did with BR and FR. On my spreadsheet, I record the percentage of made reps and the target. I have found that giving my 13 year old a 98-99% target and my 10 year olds 95-98% targets works well. At 93%, they just were not able to make any. It was demoralizing. We have 3 1/2 weeks until our next meet and another two weeks before the one after that. I can plan to make sure we hit all of the events. I also keep in mind what Rushall says about repeating the specific event sets close together.