How to split a 100 Free/100 Fly

Home Forums General USRPT Topics How to split a 100 Free/100 Fly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    billratio
    Participant

We just had our Regional Championships. I can get into how it went if people are curious. Results were good for 100s. We even had a lot of swimmers go faster than my predictions. With only 6 hours of practice a week for most of them they were still able to swim fast. I screwed up with my distance swimmers… not sure how doing more 100s than last USRPT season managed to make them do worse. I don’t think we got enough fast stuff in.

I can get into more details another time.

So what I really want to talk about… I had a 13 year old girl go 55.8 in the 100 free. She had only done it once in season and went 58.7. That race was split 27.2, 31.5… yikes. I tell my swimmers that ideal 100 free splits would be 1.5 – 2 seconds apart. Is that accurate? She controlled the first 50 better at Regionals and was able to split 27.1, 28.7. I think that’s pretty close to perfect for her.

So for her 100 fly this upcoming meet I’m wondering how she should try to pace it. She went 1:01.7 at high school Sections with splits that were 4 seconds apart. Then at State she went 1:01.6 going a 28.0 and 33.6. I always thought the splits should be around 3.5 – 4 seconds different in a 100 fly. Not sure how she went faster with splits that were 5.5 seconds apart. Every other race she had was slower at State.

Is a 4 second difference a good thing to shoot for or should I just let her swim it? I see that the top two 13-14 girls in our Age Group state meet split 5 second difference between their 50s. But the top high school girl split 25.1, 28.3. So is it an experience thing and the top 13-14 girls could be even faster? Or is every swimmer just different?

Right now I’m hoping we can do something like 28.2, 32.2 for 1:00.40. That’d be on the fast end of her prediction.

"Most people have the will to win. Few have the will to prepare to win."

oldschoolc
    Participant

Kinda of an old “rule of thumb” was Free and Back 3 seconds or faster and Breast and Fly 4 seconds or faster. Just as general guidelines. If you take some time and do a little sinple arithmetic you’ll see that it still pretty much holds true.

Your girl that split 27.1 – 28.7, actually swam it exactly how she should have. Think of it as energy distrubtion and being as efficient as possible like “goldie locks” out not too fast and not too slow, but just right and had plenty of “gas” to come back with. Think about how we plan races. Coaches are always saying ” you have to be out in X:XX.XX”, never do we say I’d like you back in X:XX.XX. We plan the race from the front to the back and maybe a better way would be from the back to the front. Got that from Bill Boomer in 1992. It’s really difficult to teach/manage with any athlete in any sport i.e. running, swimming and rowing, etc.

The 100 fly. She will split it how she has trained for it and if she deviates from that then all bets are off. Again think about it she trains to go out in 29.?? but goes out in say 28.34, she puts herself and her brain in an area she has not been in and you just hope that the wheels don’t come off the wagon during the race.

It’s really hard for them to understand that leading at the first 50 has no bearing at the 100.

I hope this made sense

Oldschool

"Only in America. Dream in red, white and blue"

billratio
    Participant

I think we’ve been training to split it better than she did at HS state. She was doing traditional training with her HS team. We’ve pretty much only been doing race pace 25s for her. Hopefully that is a good enough way to train for a more evenly split race. She has done some 25s of :50 and 1:00 to get going a little faster.

We did your test sets today.

4×25 on 1:00 and she went 13.62, 13.77, 13.74, 13.89 = mean of 13.76 with standard deviation of 0.11

4×50 on 2:00 and she went 30.52, 31.49, 31.86, 31.49 = mean of 31.34 with standard deviation of 0.57

According to this she could go between 58.07 and 59.65

We just had our goal set for breaking 1:01. I have a hard time believing she’ll go that fast but it would be extremely exciting. I don’t think I time fast because our results match practice times pretty well for most swimmers.

Obviously this is the only time we’ve done the set. Is it worth doing again in two days? We have State in one and a half weeks.

oldschoolc
    Participant

What where her times for the 25s and 50s before testing? Also of the total number offered of 25s and 50s do you have her % made? If she is above 40% she should have decent master of the speed.

Remember it’s a race range. The ultimate would be the 58.07 and more likely in the 59.65 range, even if she went 1:00 that would be a good swim. Her deviation on the 25s is good. On her 50s, we’d like to see .30 or less. Just to give you an idea.

You could test again. Just for the fact you haven’t done this before I’d say 4 days out and then shut it down with regards to testing. Just to give you an idea we tested 6 x 50 on 1:00, on Tuesday and that’s all we did fast. Today was a travel and light swim day and we’re at our sectional meet starting tomorrow. 6 of the 8 that I have here lowered their avg speed again over testing last week. 1 just missed and the other is struggling but when you have a maxHR of 202 and the average HR on the 50s is 167.1, you are operating at roughly 82% of max. good luck on trying to go faster. (we use a POLAR F4 HRM with chest strap) not the athlete counting beats.

Oldschool

"Only in America. Dream in red, white and blue"

billratio
    Participant

So it’s more likely to be at the high end of the standard deviation? I was assuming that most of the time it would fall closer to the middle.

She is well above 40% made. However, we never offer 25s on :30. It’s all :40, :50, or 1:00. I can’t give you an exact percent made right now. The results chart is at the pool. It’s in the 75% range when we’re going on the :40.

We have done zero 50 flys this year so I can’t give you any numbers for that… 🙂

For the sets I’ve calculated this week she has averaged 14.99 on the :40 with a standard deviation of .35. She was not very focused this set. It sometimes takes her a while. She went 14.61, 15.24, 15.40 then jumped down to 14.55. That’s the reason for the crazy standard deviation.

She averaged 14.81 on :50 with standard deviation of .17 and averaged 14.84 on 1:00 with standard deviation of .17. She was slower on 1:00 because it was the end of practice.

I’m happy with how she is swimming. Today she was a lot more focused and had even better results.

coacherik
    Participant

I go off of what I see average throughout the final heats of major champ meets. 200 Flyers will typcially have tighter splitting on a 100 Fly, but the range seems to be around 3.5 seconds. 200 Flyers will be under 3 and I have seen some in the 2-2.5 second range.

It seems the 100 Free is around 1.5-2 seconds, good 100 back seem to be around the 1.5 range or even 1.0. The % up or down, I haven’t done the math to tell you.

? All The Way, HLA!

All The Way, HLA!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.