1500 Training

Home Forums General USRPT Topics 1500 Training

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    OSullivan
    Participant

Hi I’m a professional triathlete and super interested in USRPT

I have been adjusting my training over past years to be more like USRPT before I even knew what USRPT was and have been pleased with the results thus far.

I have some questions about training for the 1500

1) I know with USRPT they say get in up 6X the race distance in volume in a practice. In my experience I find 2K is about all I can handle doing repeat 100’s and 50’s. And I cant do that more than 2 days in a row. On day 3 I just cant hit the paces needed.

I track HRV levels as well and it shows day 3 to be off as well

2) How many days a week do 1500M swimmers swim doing USRPT?

3) Are there days where 1500M swimmers do much less volume to accommodate recovery?

4) How much mixed stroke is used if any?

5) what about USRPT kick sets?

6) what dose a USRPT typical warm up look like?

any other things you all thing are important to add to my questions I’d love to hear

• This topic was modified 10 years, 3 months ago by OSullivan.
    Greg Tucker
    Participant

You have lots of good questions. Have you looked at Rushall’s bulletins. I suspect much may be covered in the Bulletins. We have limited experience with distance training and USRPT so afraid I can’t help much.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

Tyloma
    Participant

I am very much in favor of USRPT but I have meet wtih disaster in any distance swimming. It is frustrating as the USRPT makes sense and is based on out come based science.
    I am experimenting wth traditional endurance swimming and mixing in some USRPT at 100 level. Anything shorer such as 50’s or 75’s give me no endurance even in a 500
    If you find something that works please let me know

Greg Tucker
    Participant

I wonder of it is more important to do a larger multiple of the race when distance training. For example, is 5X better in distance training than 3X.

Just wondering out loud.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

OSullivan
    Participant

When I have been My fastest in the 1500 I was swimming up to 30×50 but the rest was 1 minute.

With USRPT protocol of 20 sec rest I think it should work better, for me any way.

I think as long as you get up to 2-3K in sessions consistently you would have enough endurance as I have found that works for me

I know USRPT doesn’t advocate 50’s for 1500 M swimmer but I think they are good for developing higher turnover which should correlate to faster swimming in 1500 as long as volume with 50s is high enough.

and the 75’s and 100’s I think are great as well.

I just started implementing USRPT about a week ago so we will see how it goes

DeeS47
    Participant

24 or 30 x 100’s Free @ 1500 RP

crmejean
    Participant

I have two swimmers doing the 1500 July 12th. One is almost 14, and the other will have just turned 11 and be doing it for the first time. A few months ago he did the 800 in 12:00. During the morning session the day of the 1500 he will swim 700M. He will be able to rest during the afternoon session before the 1500 in the evening. In the four weeks leading up to the meet he will not train at all in week two. My original plan was to do one session per week of 1500 training. We try to repeat sets within 48 hours, but we have only done the 1500 set once per week a few times. In this meet he will swim 15 events for a total of 3900M. Doing a 1500 session means practicing at 5 am outside in a 50M pool. Is once a week enough prep for this race? Each week we will do 4-5 RP sessions of around 2000 yards in the afternoons, and he will do 3 morning sessions with an AAU team that focuses mostly on technique. We also do one session each week focusing on starts, turns, and underwaters. He is very well conditioned and does not seem to tire at all. I guess I am having trouble breaking that traditional training thought process and am concerned about so much less yardage than we used to do. Opinions greatly appreciated!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.