Break Question

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Break Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    coachc
    Participant

I started training my HS team in October (training 100 % USRPT) with great results. We had a meet last night and had 110 personal best of the 170 swims ( 64%). The kids have bought in and are excited. We train 5 days a week for about 1:45 hr per session. I offer 13 – 15 RP sets per week ( 2- 3 per day ) with technique and video work each day. Our championship meet is end of January so my question is – What is the thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas training? How long before the kids experience a de-training effect? Just not sure about the week at Thanksgiving and 2 weeks at Christmas.

Any Suggestions or any past experiences would be appreciated

Coach C

billratio
    Participant

I’m just letting you know someone read your question. I don’t have a good answer though. 🙂

My gut would say don’t take 2 weeks off. I think a couple days for Thanksgiving wouldn’t be a big deal. You might be able to get away with a week at Christmas but it would make me nervous being only a month away from your final meet. I had two girls this year miss full week mid season and they both did very well at Sections. So I think it’s definitely possible but I’d still get at least 3ish practices a week during Christmas break.

Not based on any science. Just my 2 cents.

"Most people have the will to win. Few have the will to prepare to win."

Rick
    Participant

Fwiw, CoachC, I’ve noticed that 3 days off in a row leads to a decreased ability to complete the usrpt sets. Don’t know if would affect their races, but that’s just my 2 cents worth.

coachc
    Participant

Update
    I did not have formal practice for Thanksgiving week. I suggested some to swim on their own or to take a mental break. After returning from the break, the quality and ability to complete sets was much lower. It has taken a week and half to return to what we were doing prior to the break.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.