Hi all, I know it’s not strictly USRPT related, but how have those of you working at a club managed the end of season given the health situation?
After giving it a lot of thought I have decided to put an intraclub duel meet on this coming Friday to allow the kids to have a full week prep (we were already doing a 3 day drop for a qualifying meet this weekend that was cancelled) and then turn up and race each other, hopefully have a good time and swim really fast.
But there were arguments among the committee after I proposed this to suspend all operations immediately or to put it on as soon as Monday. Obviously I have some sympathy to these positions.
Frankly i’m not sure that there is a right solution, where I am the virus is not as widespread as it is in the US (yet anyways), so we aren’t at risk of everything getting closed just yet, and I would like to give the kids a positive end to their season, even if it isn’t ideal (we had 3 kids getting ready for their first ever national championships until recently). But on the other hand obviously their long term health comes first.
I’m not really interested in a debate on how serious Covid-19 is or isn’t, more just a discussion on the decisions various coaches have made in regards to ending this season.
Our country is taking things pretty seriously. The national team got pulled out of an upcoming competition and we backed out of hosting another international meet (of which we were 3 time champions). We didn’t provide an alternative however. This was before we had any cases.
It can be a bit of a letdown to train so hard with anticipation and then nothing.