Next Level

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Next Level

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Turgut
    Participant

I need an advice about the level achieved.
    I’m 51 and would like to swim 2:20 for 200 free. I already do 24×50 36 sec in 55. So what is the next step?
    1. Dropping the target time to 35?
    2. Increasing the repetitions more than 24 ?
    3. Less recovery times as 1:10 ?

Thanks

Turgut

Turgut
    Participant

Correction;
    3. Less recovery times as 50 sec.

Turgut

GlennGruber
    Participant

Are you going to failure? Sounds like you are doing 24 x 50 at your target time but you are making all 24.

For 200s 20 x 50 is a good set, but you should be using a faster target time as you are making all of them. In USRPT you MUST go to failure on every set.

Also, you should probably be going two sets of 20 x 50. Take as much time as you need between sets.

Gary P
    Participant

In my opinion, your next step should be a :35 target time on the same :55 interval. I’m curious to know what’s your current 200 time? If you can do 24 50’s at :36 on a :55 interval, you should be close already.

Turgut
    Participant

My best time is 2:24 I did it last year.
    One month ago I was swimming 38’s in 55 secs. Today I did 36’s in 55 without failure again, so it’s time to change something.
    Should I always modify my target time after I reached it? Until when? Should reps and rests remains the same? Or they depends my abiliy?

Thanks

Turgut

Gary P
    Participant

20 seconds rest is optimal for 50’s. I wouldn’t switch to a :50 interval until you’re getting 20+ @ :32 on :55.

I actually now use a watch with a programmable interval timer so that I can always set my rest interval at the optimal amount (15 sec for 25’s, 20 sec for 50’s and 75’s) without complicated pace-clock math, regardless of my target time.

ryanupper
    Participant

Gary P: What kind of watch do you have?

Turgut: I would change the interval when it gets to 23 seconds of rest. So if you are coming in at 32.0 seconds for 20 reps at 55 sec interval try the next exposure at 32pace/50interval.

Also try 25s; so try to go 17.0 seconds on 25 second rest. It’s a little faster pace with no flip turn but a good variation and it gives you an idea of how you’ll feel at 35pace/50interval

Ryan

Gary P
    Participant

Gary P: What kind of watch do you have?

I have a Speedo SD55137BX (http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-SD55137BX-Vibration-Alarm-Polyurethane/dp/B003J9Y4BU) It has an multi-segment interval timer with the option for audible alarm and/or vibration.

ryanupper
    Participant

Gray P,

Thanks.

Ryan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.