Shorter rep distances to increase volume early in season

Home Forums Tips, Lessons Learned and Observations Shorter rep distances to increase volume early in season

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ryanupper 1 hour, 28 minutes ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ryanupper
    Participant

I tried something new yesterday. I got back into swim season this week after 3 weeks out of the pool and water polo season (summer and fall). I usually swim the 50, 100 free and fly at meets.

My fly is extremely hard to train early in the season. Monday I did 4 x 25y reps, 15 sec target, on a 40 interval before I got sloppy. Not really effective and I’ve never really been able to do high volumes of fly when I’m mid-season.

Yesterday I focused on the 100 fly pace but only swam for 15-20 yards. About 4 good strokes. On a 40 interval. Stopped at 14 cuz I needed to leave so I never had a “failure”. I’m gonna work this set down to a 30 interval, 16-20 reps, and then transition to 25 yard swims. Monday volume: 100 yards with a technical failure. Thursday volume: about 280 yards without technical failure. Underwaters will have a big impact on the actual “fly” volume but right now I really need to work on both. When the underwaters and breakouts are smoother that will just help the transition to 25 yards.

Technical side I’m working on “end-of-stroke” 4.9 due to all the breakouts and “initial actions” 6.9, maximum shoulder abduction, because I’m also working on that during free sets.

Ryan

ryanupper
    Participant

Above was Thursday. On Friday I used 5 fly strokes and easily got 20 reps in @40 interval. Wasn’t really tracking the time but was gliding into the 20 yard flags at about 11 seconds. Today or tomorrow I’ll do 5 stroke on a 35 interval. Next target set will be 6 strokes on a 35 and so on.

HUGE observation: I’m working on 6.9 “initial actions” during the session. I quickly noticed (about rep 4) that I wasn’t focused on 6.9, I was counting strokes…

Now I’ve been doing this USRPT technical thing for 3.5 years now. I’ve read through the macrocycle manual at least 7-8 times. If I can’t focus on counting strokes and the technical element at the same time your average swimmer will definitely not be able to focus on both.

Moral of the story, assigning a “counting” set will only result in swimmers counting. If anything, the coach should be taking baseline measurements from the deck at certain intervals in the season. For example, early season N x 100 free at 500 pace, count the strokes per 25/50 at like rep 4 and rep 12+ (near failure). Go through a whole macrocycle then count again and measure efficiency. If the swimmer is going faster with the same strokes that’s pretty good but if they are going faster with fewer strokes even better. Also, if they are holding a similar stroke count longer in the set that’s a big win as well.

Again, my one-off case study, but don’t expect much if you’re counting and trying to work on a technical element at the same time.

Ryan

ryanupper
    Participant

Monday. 5 stroke fly (20 yards with a short streamline glide) on a 35-second interval. Took a break at 14 because those 5 strokes were carrying me about 1-2 yards short of the 20-yard mark. Not necessarily “failure” but a noticeable decrease in power.

I’ll do another set of 5 strokes on a 35 then try 6 strokes on a 35. 6 will take me past the 20-yard flags but not to the wall.

I’m going to use this concept all the way to the wall. I’m estimating 7 efficient strokes to the wall. I’ll shoot for a time (~14.5 seconds) but also use the stroke distance as a failure point. If I start coming up 1-2 yards short of the wall that will be a miss as well.

Ryan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.