Training for 100s

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Training for 100s

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Greg Tucker
    Participant

What percentage of your 100s training 25s and 50s. Does it every by stroke? Does it matter?

We had a killer backstroke lane this year. Never did more than 25s.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

Rick
    Participant

I thought you could only train for the 100 with 25’s. We definitely had some carryover in our 100 times training for the 200 and 500 but we never had them repeating their 100 race pace goal for the 50’s.

Greg Tucker
    Participant

I’m pretty sure Rushall advocates swimming 25s and 50s as training for 100s

I was just wondering what percentage of each people use when training for 100s.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

Aleksswim

My fifteen year old son has started to apply the method USRPT three weeks ago. Eighty percent of the sets are 25’s and the targeted times are: 100 breast 1:04, 100 free 0:54, 100 fly 0:57 , 100 back 1:02.(all LCM)
    So far, he improved all the time for 50’s (0.5 to 1 sec) and there is progress in the 100 breaststroke for 1.15 sec.
    We often use three sets of 25’s with 20-24 repetitions with 1:1 rest ratio (seven sessions a week – five + two doubles).
    The biggest improvement we noticed when we start the first series 25’s with stroke we swam twice the previous day.
    For example:
    Monday
    24X25’s breast, 20X25’s fly, 24X25’s breast.
    Tuesday
    20X25’s breast, 24X25’s Back, 24X25’s free.
    In the first series of breast on Tuesday, the breast times was faster than the the previous day.
    In my opinion it is necessary to repeat part of what we swam the day before in order to neuromuscular system remembers the new load level

Greg Tucker
    Participant

Thanks. Good program. Let us know his results.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

MSchuber
    Participant

I would do the majority of the 100 work in 25s.

It seems to me that the key measurement is not the distance of the repetition but the time it takes to complete the repetition. With 100 freestyle intensity, the athlete will build up more lactic acid if the repetition time is longer. It is preferable to get the lactic acid in consistent small doses over time rather than large doses at once.

It would be conceivable to me to use shorter than 25m distances for younger slower swimmers, and longer than 25m distances for older faster swimmers.

For example, perhaps a world-class 100m freestyler could build up to doing 33m repeats, and a 10yr old could build up to doing 15m butterfly repeats.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Denaj.

I'm proud of what we've done, but I know 5, 10, 20 years from now I'll wonder what we'd done had we done it 'right'

crmejean
    Participant

Aleksswim, do you swim five days in a row and take two off? We are playing with our scheduling. We need to get 6-8 sessions. I am trying to determine if it is better to take a day off in the middle of our week or do two-a-days twice and still take two full days out of the water.

Aleksswim

Crmejean, based on my experience, two days out of water is too long break between sessions.
    For these two days off (passive recovery) body (and mind) forgets new set standards and require new adaptations of two days. Most swimmers, after such a “holiday” complained that they feel pain in muscles and they are sluggish.
    Why this is so I don’t know. I have no scientific evidence for my claims.
    I would like someone to explain to me why this happens, but on a scientific basis.
    When you notice that your swimmer is tired during the week (because of the training or activities outside the pool) give him/her a day off. For fast swimming , swimmers must be rested to the extent that they do not feel any physical or mental exhaustion.
    I think that your playing with scheduling is good thing but only for the purpose of swimmer’s recovery.
    We need a fresh and rested swimmer in training. There is no quality USRPT set without that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.