USRPT DVD set discussion

Home Forums General USRPT Topics USRPT DVD set discussion

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kevin
    Participant

Hi all,

I’d like to start a discussion/review on the DVD set on USRPT.

I’ll start with some topics:

• Rushall mentions the concept of “hull speed” and seems to imply that it is an upper speed bound. However, when I look it up on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_speed) that seems not the case. Wikipedia also mentions that “[it] is not used in modern naval architecture, where considerations of speed-length ratio or Froude number are considered more helpful”. Is what Rushall says relevant?
    • I’m located in Europe (Belgium) and here we are not brought up with high-yardage training. We do follow the (classic) approach of providing aerobic and anaerobic stimuli depending on the time in the season. E.g. aerobic in the beginning, with increasing anaerobic towards the peak competitions and ending with race fine-tuning and taper before the competition (see “The Science of Winning: Planning, Periodizing and Optimizing Swim Training”, by Jan Olbrecht). So it’s not necessarily high-yardage, but still a different approach than USRPT. How do the two compare according to you?
    • Rushall advocates no-breath breaststroke swimming. To me it does make sense, as you can maintain the streamline better. What do you think and are there any other references discussing no-breath breaststroke?

Let’s hear your thoughts!

kevin
    Participant

Here is a page with more info on the book I mentioned: http://www.lactate.com/bkolbr.html

Greg Tucker
    Participant

I don’t recall the hull speed concept. Sorry.

Your training sounds like low yardage traditional training with sprint sets mixed in. If so, that’s different than USRPT. The most amazing thing to me is that swimmers do not have to b tapered to swim personal beats. It can happen anytime. Does that happen in your program?

We tried the mostly underwater, no breathing breaststroke at the end if the girls season. It was a bit disruptive to their rhythm. We may try it again next year earlier in the season.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

Denaj
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info on the DVDs Kevin. How do you feel about the value provided on them? Would you recommend them to others?

? P2Life - Performance Nutrition

kevin
    Participant

Well, the DVD’s are basically Rushall talking for about 9 hrs about his studies/beliefs/experiences. It starts with USRPT but also covers psychology/technique/pedagogy (see his books). The first DVD contains handouts, then it’s simply Rushall talking.

It is interesting to hear him explain things and this certainly adds to the available written articles. However, I expected a bit more out of the DVD’s. For example, an insight of how the Andrews are implementing USRPT (especially since the DVD’s are produced by them), how do they build macro/meso/micro cycles, etc.
    Or other coaches explaining hands-on experiences (maybe from the Carlile club Rushall supports). Showing progress of swimmers over the course of a season while following a USRPT program.

I feel they did not exploit very well the fact that it’s a video medium. Not a lot is “shown” (well, Rushall talking or an image from his slides).

I do recommend the DVD’s, it’s very interesting. But I must also mention that I find the price to be steep for the above reasons. Note that I only watched them once, maybe my feelings change after watching it again. It’s up to you 🙂

kevin
    Participant

Your training sounds like low yardage traditional training with sprint sets mixed in. If so, that’s different than USRPT. The most amazing thing to me is that swimmers do not have to b tapered to swim personal beats. It can happen anytime. Does that happen in your program?

There is a taper phase. It’s similar to what’s described in the Ernest Maglischo book. It’s simply not “high yardage”. Our season starts in sept and ends in july. With a peak in winter towards a big meet (regional championships) and a peak towards the summer for national championships. However, most swimmers do improve throughout the season. We’re talking 11 until 14 year olds, so that seems normal.

We tried the mostly underwater, no breathing breaststroke at the end if the girls season. It was a bit disruptive to their rhythm. We may try it again next year earlier in the season.

I’ve been experimenting with this myself. One of the consequences of no-breath breaststroke is a shorter arm movement. You simply cannot bring the arms/hands under the body, as that requires the body to move upwards, almost enough to breathe anyways.
    So one has to start with the hands in front at shoulder width, move slightly outwards with the hands, then go to a high-elbow phase followed by a very short power phase. Then finish with a (wider) recovery at shoulder width of the hands.
    You end up with a wider stroke. It makes me think of the technique of Agnes Kovacs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDv03qswT6c). Except the head stays down of course, and no recovery above the water.

kevin
    Participant

It makes me wonder: in high-yardage training. Do coaches not follow the principle of super compensation?

Kris
    Participant

When is training high-yardage? The science of winning also does start with a high volume of aerobic swimming. Towards the peak this is reduced in favor of anaerobic work. Even rushall says in bulletin 47 that usrpt is not low volume but is training race specific with the usrp method. So how much meters/yards is high volume and how little isn’t?

kevinayers
    Participant

I think you have to do a bit of both !!

drpaul
    Participant

I’m going to agree with Kevin’s comments also…

I’ve gone through them once. I wasn’t expecting all the technique info so that was nice but honestly, I don’t know much more about USRPT or how to design a workout/schedule than I did before as I have cruised the net & found a ton of info. A lot of time he is referring to a slide but you can’t see a pointer so you’re kind of guessing as to which frame he’s pointing to.

Still nice to see him physically talk about it. 2 things I would have paid double for….1) a Q & A and 2) actual workout videos!!!

Seeing an actual USRPT workout would be ridiculously helpful. I’ve seen the one Becca Mann put up on swimswam when she worked out with the Andrew’s but it’s still limited.

kevin
    Participant

Where have all the replies gone?

drpaul
    Participant

ha…..I was thinking the same thing. I was like, “Man, I know I’ve answered this somewhere!”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.