Colleges and usrpt

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Colleges and usrpt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Participant

Does anybody know of any colleges that are training usrpt? As our swimmers are getting older, it would be nice to have some resources/information. DI,II,or III. Doesn’t matter. I have not been able to find anything out there.

Thanks for the help!

GlennGruber
    Participant

I believe Texas Women’s University in Denton, Texas has a coach that uses USRPT.

oldschoolc
    Participant

Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, Arizona. Just went DI and good program.

"Only in America. Dream in red, white and blue"

MSchuber
    Participant

University of North Texas in Denton (DI) and we are doing it here in our sprint group at Trinity Univ. in San Antonio (DIII). UT Permian Basin (DII) may be doing some this coming season.

A lot of programs will not advertise their training methods to avoid stigma during recruiting.

I'm proud of what we've done, but I know 5, 10, 20 years from now I'll wonder what we'd done had we done it 'right'

Rick
    Participant

Thanks for the input, folks. It seems to be a bit more common in the western part of the country, doesn’t it? Living in Pennsylvania, I think it’s going to be tough to find a fit. Maybe over the next couple of years it will become a little more common.

The “stigma” comment made me smile. I understand, though. Can’t believe how many coaches have a visceral, angry response to the science. I don’t get it. Shouldn’t the goal always be to do what’s best for the athletes? Being a teacher, I learned very early that my ego is not what’s important. So much ego, so little reasoning. As a parent and adult, it’s a little disheartening.

Matt
    Participant

Hi Rick (and everyone else),

You aren’t totally alone. I’m in PA as well. College coach. I am switching our training over to USRPT to a large degree this season. I’ve read every post on this forum and (nearly) all of the USRPT specific Swimming Science Bulletin papers. It’s compelling stuff. Mostly. The discussion, anecdotes and experience I’ve read on this forum have gone a long way to making my decision to switch to (mostly) USRPT easier.

I’m wary that so few college programs are represented here, but MSchuber was probably on the money with his point about avoiding stigma with recruits. To be perfectly honest this is why I’m not mentioning which college I coach. That’s some pretty weak sauce, I know, but it’s the practical move while things are so new.

Kudos to those of you who are deep into this already and to those who are braver than I am.

Rick
    Participant

Imagine that! That’s nice to hear. We have a group of boys going into their junior year who have expressed an interest in swimming in college. My son is one of them. He is a very strong student, so he is looking for that right combination of academics and athletics. He also really wants to continue with usrpt training. Other than the local USA meets in the Harrisburg area, we’d like to get out to the Xmas invite in Pittsburgh. All depends on the high school schedule.

If any of these places are near you, it would be nice to meet you. My name is Rick Averill, and I’m the assistant coach at Central Dauphin H.S. My email is rpaverill@cdschools.org. Please feel free to shoot me an email. Your secret will be safe with me!

Matt
    Participant

District 3 is tough. Looks like that group of juniors is pretty solid. I’ll be in touch. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.