Head Coach quit….I'm 100% USRPT!! Now What??

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Head Coach quit….I'm 100% USRPT!! Now What??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    drpaul
    Participant

small history…….

2 year old club (that I founded actually). Younger head coach waaaaayyy stuck in a traditional model. I started making small changes at the end of SC season & I have taken a pilot group of sorts (6kids, 1 being my daughter) & we have been 100% USRPT this summer. I’m writing this at our LC AG Champs right now!!

Longer story short…..I wasn’t going to back to a traditional model of any kind so he bailed 2 days ago

So…….I got what i wanted but HOLY CRAP, I GOT WHAT I WANTED (be careful what you ask for right).

My questions mostly revolve around groups, practice times & implementing this for a whole team. 91 on our team last year (60 active). Will probably be a little less this year & I’m fine with that. I continue to read the bulletins for structure but I learn more from coaches in the trenches.

If you guys can just give me some ideas of how you’re doing it and any other advice/opinions it would be greatly appreciate as I have to tackle this thing now.

Paul

Greg Tucker
    Participant

With that number, you will have to be super prepared each day and quickly organize your lanes by stroke and goal times.

We run a large high school time and have had up to 11 in a lane for 25 free.

Good luck.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

drpaul
    Participant

Thanks Greg,

That’s what I’m looking for…..some examples of how other are organizing it. We have the schedule to where I don’t believe we’ll ever have more than 6-8 in a lane.

Just looking for examples & layouts

Paul

Lonestar
    Participant

Hi drpaul;

With those numbers per lane, you can like do a continuous relay with the younger set. Make the race close by halting and sending them off together. My kids go nuts with relay. Monitor stroke and pause every now and again to give extra rest and the stroke correction where applicable.

I do not hold my younger swimmers to time but challenge them to swim fast a focus on the technique.

Here’s my daughter whose been on USRPT from October last year

drpaul
    Participant

Lonestar,

Great idea with the cont/ relay for young ones. I have somewhat of a graduated protocol whereby the top groups use the clock 100% (with misses/fails, keeping logs, etc), middle groups use clock & perform race pace sets but not as strict on the misses and the younger/beginner groups don’t use a clock at all, just technique & fast swimming. They’ll do a drill/swim where I talk about what I want them to do, demonstrate it on land, look at a picture or video then they swim it at a fast pace.

Great swim by your daughter there…..esp that start!!

Paul

Lonestar
    Participant

Thanks drpaul

We work on starts and turns on Wednesdays Dr. Paul as much as we work on swim. Most my swimmers start pretty good. Zaneta has been doing it from age 6. She gets tired of hearing me say stay down and that it is a process in her race (smile). USRPT Mondays and Fridays with starts turns and IM work on Wednesdays. Here is her Freestyle start:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.