Just like I thought…

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Just like I thought…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    doc
    Participant

It dies! This was nothing more than the “the flavor of the month” training system. Dr. Rushall got a lot of coaches fired up and writes a couple of bulletins based off some idea he has and can’t back it up with any data. He’s a PhD, really? I say to him “Get a weapon and stand a post or get out of the fight”.

Coaches and PhD’s have no clue the amount of work it takes to validate a training system.

Please save me all the excuses of why you can’t do something. Just admit “I can’t get it done”.

If this pisses you off. So be it! This shit takes WORK and if you aren’t willing to put that in don’t be a “pretender” and find a different part-time job.

Doc

? All that is not shared... is lost.

kevin
    Participant

Did I miss something? Why the sudden outburst doc?

lefthanded swimmer
    Participant

Hi Doc. It seems like you are making USRPT work and I appreciate you sharing it. It is unfortunate that the forum seems to be on vacation. We have adapted what we are doing to USRPT 3 to 4 times a week and a “Dave Salo” type set (his stuff is public on other days). More USRPT than that and my swimmer (son) is depleted and can’t perform. I also don’t buy into no land work. If you have a large swimmer, they just can’t manage size without strength training in my opinion. Strength in the pool is relative to body weight.

Recent sets with USRPT has resulted in us pushing down times. It’s taken some time but the times are going down. The hardest thing was accepting that when the muscles are depleted you will have a bad day. We have to rest every 3rd or 4th day and this was determined from data. Matter of fact, my son said doing 5 days straight under a traditional program, he said he only had 1 or 2 good days a week. I wish we would have figured this out earlier.

kevin
    Participant

It’s not because the forum is a bit silent that USRPT is dead. There are many teams in the US that converted their program fully to USRPT. There is also no effort (that I know of) that tries to gather data from various clubs/swimmers/coaches/… in order to validate the approach with data. It would be a cool project to set up some kind of website that can be used to keep data, and then use it to extract statistics. Kind of like an open-source data gathering effort.

Marlin
    Participant

Doc,

I have been trying some of your sets over the past month and like them a lot. I started doing freestyle nx25 at 60 and nx50 at 2:00. I really liked these sets so I decided to try the other strokes. I’ve done all four strokes of 25’s at 60 and nx50 at 2 br/fly/fr and back 50 of 100 IM br/fr. I feel like the 50’s at back half simulate the real race better than the Rushall sets. I was worried about being dead the next day after a 50 set but I’ve been able to improve day to day doing these sets. A few step backs here and there with built up fatigue but no more than when I was doing more of the Rushall sets. There is more lactate for sure but it’s not a problem. I also got to say hello to my old friend 200 beats per minutes but that was early on. It kind shocked my body at first but it’s adjusted now. If the 50’s simulate the real race better and I can hit race pace day after day, I may as well do the 50’s.

I have been progressing nicely, especially in fly. On the 50’s at 2 minutes I started with my current best back 50- 31.13 converted to meters plus one for the tempo trainer push off delay = 35.52. My sets went like this- made 7 on the first then 7 again, and 8. Last night I decided to move the pace down one second to 34.52 (or 30.2 yard pace). I made 6 on the first try! And a lot of them were fast too. My times were about 32.5,32.5,33,33.5,33.5,34. I completely fell apart on 7 though and pulled up at 35 because my arms started catching the surface on recovery. But I feel like I have improved my power already. I have gotten in 5 fly’s nx25’s at 60 with 15.00 on the tempo trainer. The best I have done so far is 11. I think I’m almost ready to move the pace down on that. I’m going to try to make at least 12 next time.

doc
    Participant

Marlin,
    You have followed the forum for awhile and know I will go on a rant every once in a while.

I don’t mean any disrespect to anyone. It’s just that there are so many questions to ask and we have to keep pushing the enevlope.

? All that is not shared... is lost.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.