Questions Regarding Training got 200

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Questions Regarding Training got 200

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Greg Tucker
    Participant

We have a group of girls doing 10 x 75 on 1:15 in our preseason training program for high school. What variable needs to change next?

1) add rep?
    2) reduce race pace goal time?
    3) decrease interval?

What criteria do you use to tell you when it is time to make a change? And which variable? And in what order?

Oldschool, remind me the rule you use on percentage of training offered.

Input welcomed from all.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

Greg Tucker
    Participant

training for 200

Not training got 300

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

Dwswim
    Participant

New poster here, but have been going full USRPT with my teams for the past year now and am an active follower of this forum. Typically, we don’t do a ton of 75’s @ 200 RP. I have seen great results from just 25’s and 50’s (I can get into why I think 50’s are more effective for MY team but that’s probably best for another thread). Rushall mentions that you should shoot for approximately 20 seconds of rest for all swims 50 yds and up. I follow that as best as I can. Therefore, I would say it depends on what their goal time is to decide which variable to change. I completely agree with oldschool in an earlier thread where he talked about never changing two variables at once. If changing the goal time still allows them to get approximately 20 seconds of rest (I’d say between 17.5 and 22.5 seconds—remember you’re dealing with a full team here so it likely will be hard to guarantee that everyone gets exactly 20) then I would change the goal time.

With the 75’s we do at 500 pace I have all kids whose goal time is between 42.5 and 47.5 go on 1:05, all kids who are between 47.5 and 52.5 go on 1:10 and all between 52.5 and 57.5 go on 1:15. We have about 36 kids training in a 6 lane pool so I could realistically break the groups down more and have each lane on a different time (I can program a different pace time per lane and realistically have a clock that runs up to 1:02 or something obscure like that) but ultimately I think having at least two lanes on the same interval allows better camaraderie and a more competitive feel to the set and is a positive that I believe outweighs the extra 1-2 or loss of 1-2 seconds of rest. When they get 2 times through the race distance (approximate 14×75 for 500, 3 times through for 200’s which is like 8×75’s) without a failure and say they are going 52.5 on 1:15 and getting 22.5 seconds of rest, I will keep them on 52.5 but move them to 1:10 the next time we do the set.

Remember in true USRPT failure is good. So if a majority of your group is making all 10 of the reps (which would be pretty impressive for 200 p 75’s based on my data) then you should increase the number so that the majority of the group either double misses or fails 3 times through the duration of the set. It’s about getting to neural fatigue (training benefit).

Ultimately, collect data, read your swimmers morale, analyze the effectiveness of a set off these components and make some decisions for future progression based off of this info. Ultimately, our teams all consist of kids with different backgrounds, skill levels, age levels, demographics and thus we as teams have different cultures. Athletes aren’t robots (sometimes it would be awesome if they were though…joke…kind of) and we need to figure out ways to get the most out of them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.