Resuts at 5 weeks?

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Resuts at 5 weeks?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    coachpaul
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I have a general question as I have been now doing a 100 percent USRPT program with my squads now for 6 weeks. A lot of the athletes are now swimming on PB pace for there events in training and we have worked up to 3 sets per session training 8 sessions per week. After having competed for the first time over the weekend after switching to USRPT a majority of my swimmers were well outside their bests even up to 9 seconds in some cases.

I am wondering if anybody has had similar results at this point after switching. And also how long was it until results were seen. I know I am suppose to expect this after 8 weeks but this far out is a little concerning.

Thoughts?

Amsepamse
    Participant

I see all over the place that each event is trained several times a day or every day. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I think I remember that the key idea of USRPT is recovery (and race pace of course) and each type of set/event should be done with a day of recovery in between. 3x/week i believe was a proposed frequency for any given set or event.

Coachpaul, are you rotating your events 100/200 each stroke/week (that would be 8 sessions รก 3 sets), or how is your week planned with different strokes/events?

dmuecke
    Participant

I would recommend to re-evaluate interval times your squad swims. My experience is that swimmers tend to push off too early in sets and are too optimistic about their interval times.
    Tell your swimmers their interval times during sets.

coachpaul
    Participant

Thank you for your comments.

I have been rotating through the 100 or 200 events using the first set as the focus whilst the two other sets in our sessions usually have been ending up being maintainance or a second opportunity at a different distance/stroke. By combining this with 50 events training and skills I have been getting roughly about 3 exposures 100 and 200 events for 3 strokes per week give or take. It’s only a few of my better swimmers that are really completing the 8 sessions offered per week. With others doing 4-6 sessions. I have also been only offering a maximum of up to 24 repetitions due to time restraints.

Might I be offering too much so that exposures are too far apart?

Thoughts?

Amsepamse
    Participant

No matter what training strategy used, attendance will always be the single most determining success factor.
    for the low attendees, I would suggest focusing sets so that each event will have three exposures weekly.
    as for results, I would expect 10 weeks or more; at the start they complete 12-16 of the offered sets (3-4x race distance) and towards the end they complete 20-24 (5-6x race distance). Then you change some parameter so that in the next cycle they can only complete 3-4x race distance.

dmuecke
    Participant

The interval training should allow you to predict quite accurate race times. In you team it seems not the case. The most common mistake is using interval times given from swimmer to predict race times.
    In regards of too much exposure you should see it in the data. My experience is swimmers swim slower and can’t hold numbers of repetitions if they’re too tired. Key is accuracy in measuring interval times.

billratio
    Participant

I was extremely frustrated with how my swimmers swam the entire first full season I ran USRPT. We didn’t see the results I thought we would until doing a full rest and putting on tech suits.

I would just say work very hard to hold everyone accountable to their paces. Trust that when you give them a week of rest they will be ready to hit every goal time.

"Most people have the will to win. Few have the will to prepare to win."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.