Total Yards at RP

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Total Yards at RP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    billratio
    Participant

Since we are not supposed to worry about total yards(which is hard for me to get used to) but total yards done at race pace, I’d like to ask what amount of race pace yards should be done on the average day?

I know it shouldn’t be the same for everyone but I’m just curious about how little will be too little. If I have swimmers only completing 500 race pace yards a day, would that be enough to have any kind of training effect? We’ve only had two practices so far this year so I’m sure it will get better. I’m just wondering if I should expect good results from swimmers who are doing less than 1,000 yards at race-pace per day.

"Most people have the will to win. Few have the will to prepare to win."

agswimcoach
    Participant

I have the same question. I have been doing about 2-3 usrp workouts a week with my high school team, and I would say most of my sprinters are completing about 1000 yards at race pace, + or – 200 yards. my 200/500 crew averages completes about 1500 yards of race pace.

Rick
    Participant

We were doing 3 sets a practice (2x 12×50 1x 16×25 for 1600 yds.) 3 times/week. Seemed to work well given the results. I am wondering what it will be like if we up it to 5 days/week. this is what I am experimenting with over the summer.

GlennGruber
    Participant

The real question is, if you were doing “traditional” training, how much race pace yardage would you be doing per day? I’m guessing very little. USRPT is only race pace training/yardage, therefore if the swimmers are doing 500 or 1000 a day at race pace, that is so much more quality yardage then the mindless yardage of “traditional” training.

drpaul
    Participant

billratio,

check my post on new bulletin #49. It lays out how much. Of course this is once the kids get up to speed (which could take a while) and depends on what events they are training for.

paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.