Training for State Championships

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Training for State Championships

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    swimbird
    Participant

Having a pretty good idea of what my swimmers will be swimming at High School State Championships, do I continue to train ALL races (50, 100, 200 free, stroke at 50, 100 and 200?) OR, do I train JUST their state races everyday?

billratio
    Participant

How far out are you from State? I switched to training exclusively for events we were swimming at sections 1 month out. 3 weeks of packing in race pace yards and 1 week of 3 day protocol. Can’t say if it was better than it would have been if we had just kept training as we were but it definitely wasn’t bad. That’s what we did and they all hit their paces for the most part. You can read back through my sections thread if you want more detailed results.

It would also allow for more turns/starts/skill work if you dropped the irrelevant event training.

How have they been swimming so far this year? Are any of them hitting their paces in meets yet?

"Most people have the will to win. Few have the will to prepare to win."

swimbird
    Participant

We are 4 weeks out from State Championships. We have been improving every meet, hitting pace better and better every week. With only 2 meets remaining and then state, it looks like we can start to practice only what we are swimming. Can we do multiple sets per day on a stroke: IE 30×25 at 100 free pace and later in practice another set at 100 Free?

billratio
    Participant

I don’t think it would be a problem. I had a girl hitting 60+ 25s at her 100 free pace throughout the practice in addition to her 50 free training. I was ending a lot of practices with 25s @1:00 and that usually got them all swimming faster than 100 pace. Oldschool said that may have built up some speed reserve for them.

Part of me wondered if we should have dropped her goal time since she was completing 24 straight at her pace but it was very late in the season that she built up to that number.

swimbird
    Participant

Things worked out pretty well! 4 first team all state swimmers, one state record in 200 free relay, PB times both days and the schools first State Championship in swimming.

kevin
    Participant

Congrats! How did you end up filling in the 4 weeks prior to State?

billratio
    Participant

Congrats! Would you mind sharing their times and what their results were like in practice? What events did the all-state swimmers swim?

Gary P
    Participant

Congrats on the Championship!

swimbird
    Participant

sorry about the late reply. Have had trouble logging on…..i’ll go through my notes and last 3-4 weeks of practice and give a breakdown heading into our championship week.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.