Training in LC

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Training in LC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jared
    Participant

Finally back in the water after a long layoff!

However we have moved to a LC pool and it is presenting some new challenges.

Obviously there are options like stopping in the middle or 50s as 25 at p100/25 easy, but both of these have shortcomings that are pretty obvious as soon as you see them.

Infrequently you can do 50s at P100 (Ive used P100 +1-3 depending on stroke and swimmer as a starting point as this work is incredibly difficult LC and I’ve found that roughly approximates back end speed), but it is a very taxing set.

I’ve made the decision to emphasise 200+ events, as they are more easily trained LC, but most of my swimmers are 50/100 stroke and 200 IM swimmers, so it isn’t really ideal long term.

Obviously we are all thrilled to be back in the water, but I was interested to see how some other coaches have or would deal with these sort of challenges.

I’m also just trying to get any sort of conversation happening as it is a shame this forum is dead. Not a lot of forums like this available for coaches.

doc
    Participant

Jared,
    I think a lot of coaches fall into that paradigm of “we’re training for 200+ in LC” Missing the speed component. True it’s far more difficult to address. Putting highway cones at 25 and trying to time as you have 8 swimmers crossing that imaginary line. I used tempo trainers with the sprinters during the summer, we would do “beat the beep”, not concerned about the rest interval. I would control the rest by the number of beeps they get i.e. 3 beeps, 4 beeps, etc. The problem with TT is they’ve gotten so expensive at $60 ea.

I know it’s a pain. But if you don’t address the speed issue you have reduced the pieces to the puzzle.

Just thoughts

Doc

? All that is not shared... is lost.

jared
    Participant

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the reply, I actually really agree with you. I said I emphasised 200+ events, and I have (relative to usual), but still just over half of quality swimming in the program is at 100 pace or faster, which is less than usual (it usually is around 70-75% for the average swimmer, and up to 95% for one swimmer who is a legitimate 50 FS swimmer and does some 200 pace free 1-2 times per week mostly just for a bit of variety).

Honestly a bit over a month into training LC the bigger issue I’ve had come up consistently is the lack of turns in my opinion, along with the fact we don’t have access to blocks, starting to see some really lazy starts, turns and walls. And these are bad habits to build. Feels like I spend more time talking about those things than swimming technique at the moment, which obviously isn’t what I want.

Like the idea of using a tempo trainer, I do only have one though unfortunately. It’s a shame there isn’t a more affordable alternative, I feel like they are pretty seriously overpriced, but maybe I am missing something I suppose.

In your set with the tempo trainer, what sort of setting would you use? Target time, so 3 or 4 beeps would be 1:3 or 1:4 work to rest ratio? or do you have it beep multiple times per swim?

Overall I haven’t minded training LC. Definitely will be happy to be back SC in (fingers crossed) a few weeks though.

doc
    Participant

Hey Jared,
    On the use of TT. The target time is 13.00 seconds. Beep leave wall beat the beep which would be the second beep, rest a beep and leave on next beep. So the ratio is 1:2. What’s nice is you can actually set it to achieve 1:1, 1:2, or whatever ratio you choose by adjusting the # of beeps between.

Turns. measure back to 12.5m and have them go 1 turn 25s. Real easy if you have TT and can be challenging trying to time, but it can be done. I would put highway cones at the 12.5m mark, it would at least give them something to aim for.

Again, just thoughts.

Doc

? All that is not shared... is lost.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.