USRPT with resistance training

Home Forums General USRPT Topics USRPT with resistance training

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    swimmatt
    Participant

Help please, ive began a new usrpt regimen for myself, but i have a few questions before i start. My first question would be, if i use paddles and fins at the same time to increase the amount of resistance on my arms and legs, but i still do the same usrpt sets(ex.20×25 free holding 100 pace) will i still see the same results? I know that in the guide to usrpt says do only usrpt, mix it with no other training, but what if i am doing only usrpt, just with extra resistance? Wouldnt it be the same as wearing a really heavy drag suit while doing usrpt? If i do this i will only be doing it mon. Wed. And fri. And i will do usrpt without fins and paddles on teus. Thurs. and Sat. To let my body get a feeling for racing without fins or paddles or “maintaining my feel for the water”. Please someone help me on this one, im tired of having to wait till the end of the season to got a best time that is only tenths of a second faster than my pb from last season

Greg Tucker
    Participant

Not to be flippant but, as Doc would say, you don’t swim with paddles in meets.

More serious, what do you hope to get from this version of USEPT.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

swimmatt
    Participant

I would like to gain an advantage in my sprint, preferably longer ones such as 100s and maybe 200s, no 50s or anything longer than 200m, by using the paddles to give myself resistance to build my fast twitch fibers and anaerobic system because i have been reading around and ive found alot of sources online saying that 60-70% of a 100m race, doesnt matter what stroke, is using the anaerobic system, and the other 30-40% is aerobic so i thought maybe if increased my resistance through the water odd days of the week, i could stimulate my anaerobic system and on even days of the week i do normal usrpt i will stimulate my aerobic system and my muscle fibers to get a feel for race pace

GlennGruber
    Participant

Tucker is right. If you are going to do USRPT the “correct” way, there is no need to use toys or do drills. The only thing that is important is race pace swimming and only race pace swimming.

As Doc always says “mixed swimming gives mixed results”. He is referring to what you have suggested, i.e. aerobic odd days and anerobic even days.

That tyype of training is not necessary, again only race pace.

It’s my experience that people are trying to make USRPT complicated, it isn’t complicated at all! Determine your goal time, figure out the time you need to go per 50 and per 25 and start doing the sets to failure each and every time.

swimmatt
    Participant

Thank you both for helping out with this, i cant wait to start training like this, i definetly love this type of training because i can put my maximum effort into every single reapeat instead of the first two then being to tired to give 100% for the rest of the set like in traditional training

MSchuber
    Participant

Be sure to train *Above* (400-500 training for 200, 200 training for 100, 100 training for 50) and *below* (50 training for 100, 100 training for 200) your desired race distance.

Toys are good for teaching technique, but then the technique needs to be trained in race conditions.

I'm proud of what we've done, but I know 5, 10, 20 years from now I'll wonder what we'd done had we done it 'right'

swimmatt
    Participant

Hi thanks for the advice!! I have another question, if i can hit all my 25s at my pace, i train with a cap and a normal suit, would it be better to decrease the interval for each repitition (ex. From 24x25s on :35 to 24x25s on :30), decrease my pace time (ex. From 14 sec per 25 to 13 sec per 25), or keep the same interval and pace time but add drag to make it more diffucult to make my pace (ex. Adding a dragsuit).which one of these three option would be best to do now that i can make all of the 25s at my pace without failure?

drpaul
    Participant

Unless you’re going to swim in a meet with that drag suit……no go 🙂

Here’s your answer about “total completion” straight from the doc:

“The reaction to total completion should be to increase the velocity of swimming for each repetition so that the swimmer will fail to complete the total number for the set. Total completion indicates to the swimmer they have maximized their capacity to perform at the race-pace over the repetition distance for the
    target swimming event. In traditional swimming, completing all the repetitions is good, but in USRPT it indicates that the training set was too easy and the swimmer did not experience a maximum training stimulus that would produce a full training-effect. Thus, in USRPT completing all repetitions (i.e., not failing) is not good because training was not as effective as it could be.”

hope that helps

swimmatt
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice, it did help! Ill start implementing this into my usrpt training!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.