Workout draft

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Workout draft

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    yassine

He’ll, I am 36 years old master swimmer, I am new to swimming, 3 years experience, I love it and want to reach my full potential.

I would like to train in USRPT to prepare for following race 50 back.
    My best times on those races are
    50 back 37:73

I have gotten last week my 1st summer national qualification in the 50 back that I will be swimming in July.

Having found the original paper not easy to understand, I would like help in drafting a full uSRPT workout.

Ps: I train in 25 meters pool, I train in my club twice a week, with one additional time per week alone Which is when I’d like to train in USRPT.

Thanks

Greg Tucker
    Participant

Are you training specifically for the 50 back? And only the 50 back?

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

yassine

Next week, I am hoping I can get my ticket to summer nationals in July for the 50 free and 50 breast as well, if I do then it will be for 50 in back, free, breast stroke.

As to This year, I have been doing a lot of 100/ 200 IM work.

Greg Tucker
    Participant

50s are a different beast in USRPT. 12.5 and 25s are the yardage. All reps should be all out based on your desired time. 15 secs of rest between each rep. Lots of skill work on starts, Underwaters, breakouts and finishes.

Reps for 12.5s would 12-20. Reps for 50s would be 6-10. Timing would be to 1/10 of second, If you fail, sit. No slow swimming when you train for 50s. Don’t cheat. If you miss, sit. You can dive on one end, then push on the other end.

Typically no more than 2 strokes per set. Would do 3 sets on M, W, F. 2 sets on T, Th, S. Two weeks before meet I would unload a bit more by doing 2 sets on F.
    The week of the meet I would do 3 sets Monday, 2 on Tues, 2 on Wed, 2 on Th and 1 on Friday assuming you swim Sat.

I would do lots of starts throughout.

Just my $0.02. Others may have different ideas.

Good luck.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

yassine

Thank you for the reply, couple of questions comes to mind

What do you mean by Timing would be to 1/10 of second

Is failure defined by not swimming the rep at the desired time

Thank you

Greg Tucker
    Participant

Yrs, failure is not swimming the rep at the desired time.

As the distances decrease, the need for more precise timing of your reps increases. For example, there is a potentially big training difference on a rep at 12.1 vs 12.9. One might be success, the other a failure in 25s for 50 training. Ideally, you would have someone timing you or at least be able to discern 12 low vs 12 high if you don’t have a timer. Guess it depends on if you have a coach with a watch or if you are training alone.

Again, good luck. Let us know how your training goes and your results at the upcoming meet.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

yassine

I will be relying on wall clock with no coach supervision.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I’ll keep you guys updated, right after the meet 6th july

yassine

So I will be swimming only the 50 back, below is my current workout draft, any thoughts on improvements or changes are welcome, thanks in advance

300 warmup
    10 BK start with underwater
    10×25 BK 15 sec rest
    300 drills
    10×25 BK 15 sec rest
    200 kick
    10×25 BK 15 sec rest
    200 swim easy

Greg Tucker
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your work out. I wished more did this (right, Oldschool?).

I might consider 12.5s if you have pool space. We don’t do them, but Rushall’s chart calls for them. I remember if chart calls for 50s when training for 50s (I have a block). Maybe so e 25 FRs from time to time? It might help to add a little variety than all 25s BK.

I might also do a set of 6-8 25 BK all out once it twice a week.

Why drills? You trying to correct something in your stroke. If not, I would let your technique happen at race pace.

That’s just my $0.02.

When is your meet? Let us know your results.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

yassine

Thank you for the feedback, I have modified the plan accordingly, the meet will be on the 4th July, I’ll keep you guys posted.

I do incorporate drills to improve my stroke mechanics, being a new to swimming, I have way too much room for improvement 🙂

I workout 3 to 4 times a week with 2 times gym weight lifting.

200 warmup
    10 BK start with underwater
    8×25 BK 20 sec rest 50 pace
    200 drills
    10×25 Free 15 sec rest 100 pace
    200 kick
    8×25 BK 20 sec rest 50 pace
    200 swim easy
    4×50 BK full 50m all out, rest as needed in between
    200 warm down

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.