Workouts

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Workouts

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kris
    Participant

Hello all

I started introducing usrpt but still have some questions. How to implement technique training in the sets. Most of the time i still spent quite a bit of the available time on technique. So training of 1 hour looks like. 5 minutes warm-up. 15 min turns or start then 15 min stroke shaping and then 1 set of 24 times 25 m at race pace and then cool down. What do you think? Is it better to introduce 2 sets of race pace and spent less time on technique or does this sound ok?

Any comment is welcome.

Kris

Greg Tucker
    Participant

Chris

Two (or three) sets are preferred in my opinion. Depends on what you are training for and how close to the meet you are.

Regarding technique, you should be incorporating this into you USRPT sets. If you want to swim fast with technique, then you need to train fast with technique if you are doing technique sets at less than race pace, you are developing incorrect neuromuscular adaptation.

Just my $0.02. Good luck. Keep doing USRPT. You will get faster. Guaranteed.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

Denaj
    Keymaster

Kris,

I think the format of your practice is solid. Keep the technique instruction first because that’s the time when they are going to learn most.

Also,keep doing what you’re doing on some days and on other days I would substitute one of those 15min segments for another USRPT set.

Here is a resource that might help: STEP-BY-STEP USRPT PLANNING AND DECISION MAKING PROCESSES

? P2Life - Performance Nutrition

Tyloma
    Participant

Kris,
    I warm up 200-300 then start my first USRPT set. It is easier to do every day.
    I take time to do stroke work or occasional drill but it is not everyday, nor a race-pace stroke I just swam
    My 2cents
    Ty

dannymac5555

If you guys look at what Dr. Rushall says, he says that, “Drill is good for beginners. Drill is okay for intermediate swimmers, but drill is harmful to elite swimmers.”
    Depending on your level that you may be personally, or the level of the swimmers that you are coaching, you may not even need to work on technique.
    Personally, drill/technique work is mundane and can be considered garbage yardage. I do not do drill/technique work myself. I don’t coach too much of it either unless I have to.
    You will learn the right technique by doing it over and over again and doing it at race pace.
    There really isn’t too much of a need to implement a technique or drill set. But that’s just my personal opinion.

agswimcoach
    Participant

Here is a workout I did with my boys high school team at Arroyo Grande:

25×25 @ :35 @100 free race pace
    300 easy recovery
    20×50 at 200 free race pace @:50 or 25×25 at 100 race pace @:35, non free
    3×100 ascending swim @1:30
    20×25 @50 RP @:35, odds off the blocks

Racepace
    Participant

Do you use the failure procedure during your sets? Using the failure procedure really individualizes the workout for your team. If someone’s goal time is 1:00 min for the 100, they would be shooting for 14.5 to 15 seconds for each 25. If they swim over 15 then they have to sit out two 25’s which is about 45 seconds, then they start their 25’s again. Once they hit their 3rd failure, that set is over. At that point they would go to the recover lane.

Using the failure procedure allows the workout to fit everyone instead of it being too hard for 33%, too easy for 33% and just right for 33%. The athletes would routinely ask how many 25’s they should be doing and always tell them to just go to the 3rd failure. We would also remind them what number they hit the last time.

We also would not do anymore free after that first set. I believe I read that one event per session per stroke is all he (Dr. Rushall) recommends.

There is also probably too much rest for 25’s. USRPT recommends no more than 15 sec rest for 25’s. Once our better swimmers were under 58 seconds for the 100 we reduced their rest to 10-12 seconds per 25.

I hope that helps.

agswimcoach
    Participant

As a high school coach, most of my USRP sets are very similar, since most people are training for 100s.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the idea of every once in a while giving a high school group sets for 200 strokes, for example, giving a swimmer who really is only going to swim the 100 breast a set of 20×50 at 200 breast race pace?

My thinking is it will mix it up a little, and it will open some of their eyes to the idea of swimming those longer events.

My concern is that it will negatively impact their training for their 100s, but I don’t really think its a big deal.

An thoughts?

MSchuber
    Participant

Dr. Rushall told me to train above and train below every race. So, to train for the 100 freestyle, you need to make sure you are doing 50 free and 200 free USRPT sets. He cited Matt Biondi only training the 100 freestyle and doing worse than when he trained for 6-8 events.

I'm proud of what we've done, but I know 5, 10, 20 years from now I'll wonder what we'd done had we done it 'right'

Greg Tucker
    Participant

We would not “train up” in our program, the greatest fear being that if you train at 200 pace you will race at 200 pace.

At the Lawrence Clinic, Rushall showed a chart that for 100 race distance, you would only do reps of 25 and 50 at race pace.

We had a girl this year that never swam more than 25 fly in practice.
    She swam faster and faster throughout the year, then absolutely crushed her PR in Medley Relay and 100 fly at our State meet. We did do 2-3 dive 50s per week, but only to work on breath control (none on the way out, one breath at turn, none on the way back). She swam these less than race pace.

Just my $0.02.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

Kris
    Participant

Train above and below is also new to me. I can’t find this anywhere in the bulletins. The advantage of usrpt is your swimmer knows how to pace his race so why train at another race pace than the one you want to compete?

wordofmouth
    Participant

I was told the same thing by Dr. Rushal, to train the distance above and below your event but not in place of training for your event.

Yes, if you do 25’s at 200 fly pace but not at 100 pace that may lead to a slow 100. But if you do 50’s at 200 pace and some dive sprints as if you were training for the 50 fly along with a steady diet of 25’s at 100 pace then you will be OK.

Greg Tucker
    Participant

For those training above race distance (e.g. 200 race pace for 100 distance), what is it that you believe you are getting from this kind of training? Not saying it’s bad, just wondering why.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

Tyloma
    Participant

to Evohunter7
    If I understand , you’ll go 20 min of 25’s (say on 30″) for 20 min? In this case it would be 40. What happens when they fail? Or when they don’t fail ?
    Thanks

Tyloma
    Participant

Greg Tucker
    I believe I am getting a tighter race-pace result i.e. tighter splits, and real time results i.e. I know if I hit my mark that day or not.
    I don’t have the yardage yet under my belt but will be happy to keep you informed once I do

Ty

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.