Record Keeping

Home Forums General USRPT Topics Record Keeping

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Greg Tucker
    Participant

Who keeps records for USRPT practices and what do you record? Number of total failures in a set? Reps to first, second, third failure? Times?

Just wondering what others are doing to monitor progress in practice.

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

Kris
    Participant

Hello Greg

I record target time and rest interval. Also first,second and third failure. I do put these records on a graph so the kids can see their evolution. Also helpfull to decide when to change rest and or target time.

Denaj
    Keymaster

I keep track of what my swimmers accomplish as far as times held and the date and sometimes the number of reps. Ideally I would like to record failures, but I’m coaching 8-10 year olds and they rarely remember how many we’ve done. We still adhere to the failure system though.

I like to announce how far some of them have come as it relates to time drops and that gets them excited to know they’ve dropped so much time, but then again I don’t want to recreate the traditional atmosphere of swimmers who are just getting better at a particular set so I like to tie in race results so that they can easily make the connection.

Kris, showing them a graph is a great idea, I will have to do that soon.

? P2Life - Performance Nutrition

Evohunter7
    Participant

I’ve only just started to record there results. I record time and number of repeats ‘qualified’.

I will eventually teach myself how to graph this information.

I am actually in the process of putting together binders to try something new this season.
    1. the cover of the binder has a chart with all of their best times and all of the target times they might be expected to hit on various sets.
    2. they fill out a log sheet that asks for the date, the race they are training for, their best time in that race, the set (50’s on 55…), the target time, # before first fail, total yards at race pace, previous best for that set, and other comments. After each set we take time to log it down. That way my swimmers always know what they are aiming for and what they can consider an improvement.
    3. I also include a calendar so that every time a swimmer makes an improvement in either # to first fail or total yardage on target they write that race on that date in the calendar.

I have no idea if this will work but I have shown it to the kids and they seem excited about it. Some of them even made their own binders because they didn’t want to wait for me to get all the stuff and put it together.

I have been doing it for myself and I enjoy taking the time to write things down and compare. But I only work out once or twice a week for about a half hour so I doubt I will ever get annoyed with it like they could. 🙂

I came into this world naked, toothless and screaming and that's exactly how I plan to go out.

kevin
    Participant

In attachment the log sheet I use. They have a plastic folder with a sheet of target times of 25’s and 50’s per stroke-distance combination, this log sheet and a sheet with their dry-land warm-up.

sorry… excel won’t attach… trying pdf’s.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

I came into this world naked, toothless and screaming and that's exactly how I plan to go out.

oldschoolc
    Participant

This combines both numbers made and target times for “n x 50 fr on :50/1:00”. Easy to do, after each set walk down the lanes and record numbers on work data sheet and then transfer over to EXCEL. Three USRP sets in a workout will take about 10 minutes to enter with a group of 24 swimmers.

We have sheets for free and stroke 25s, 50s, 75s and 100s.

This also allows you to copy into workout (WORD) so that they are ready have pace times and can see numbers made from last time they did workout.

Attachments:

"Only in America. Dream in red, white and blue"

Evohunter7
    Participant

@ oldschoolc

Do you have a new sheet for each event, each month?

oldschoolc
    Participant

Evohunter7, I apologize for the VERY late reply. No. I keep all speadsheets to season. So I have one for SCY & LCM. they do get long but you just hide columns. I think it’s better that way as I can go back and see how we are either progressing or regressing and can make adjustments to the numbers.

I have hpoefully attached our 25s of free and stroke. I also have them for 50s, 100s free and 75 stroke.

Attachments:

oldschoolc
    Participant

forgot something “btb” is what we call “beat the beep”. We use a tempo trainer for these sets. They will set it for their time e.g. 12.35, they will then leave on the first beep and have to be at the other end either just before or as they touch on the second beep. This becomes a pure 1:1 w:r ratio.

Greg Tucker
    Participant

School,

We have been noodling this idea. Can you set the pacer for a second interval to account for rest (e.g. 30 secs for race pace, 20 secs for rest on 50s? if not, does the swimmer have to activate the pacer for each swim?

You like using it? The kids like it?

Thanks.

Greg

Greg Tucker
    #USRPT

oldschoolc
    Participant

Not that I know of.

There are a number of ways to use the TT that we have played with.
    1. straight one to one w:r e.g. pace time is 12.35 rest is 12.35
    2. we have cut that in 1/2 and used 6.17, so it takes 2 beeps to get there but they only get 1/2 for rest. This can get tough. So we may have them go 8 x 25 at 1:1, then go 4 at 1:1/2 and then follow that up with 8 at 1:1. Not bad for 25s but they are not fans when we do this for 50s.
    3. If I want to extend the rest then I’ll have then go with 2 beep rest or 3 beep rest.
    4. You can also challenge them and see if they can make pace with only one beep or 1/2, if you have them set pace at 1/2 50 speed. Less rest at race pace! we have done it as 10 x 50 at 1:1, 6 at 1:1/2 and then 10 x 50 at 1:1. it’s a *&^%$ but when done they have enjoyed the challenge.

They do enjoy the sets. Because they can tell where they are having problems. Espicially when doing 50s. Set TT at 1/2 50 pace, so it becomes a 2 beep 50. They can make it to the 25, but falter on the back 1/2. So now they know that they really have to focus on the back 1/2 in order to make it.
    We have even done it by dividing the 50 into 1/4s, then they really know OK it’s my last 12.5 that is my problem.

We also do it with 75s stroke and they really become engaged.

For 50m pool and doing 25s we would do 25 on pace and then they get 2 beeps for rest. Which gives them just enough time to easy swim to the end and get ready to go again.

You can really get creative with TT and they can tell you alot if you pay attention.

Kris
    Participant

How many swimmer do you have in 1 lane. Do they all have same target time. If not, doesn’t it get messy in the lane after a few 25’s?

oldschoolc
    Participant

Usually 3. They are pretty good about grouping themselves according to pace time and will split so a couple start from one end and some from the other side. That seems to work a little better or just prolongs the mess. Over the course of say 30 x 25 there’s going to be a time that they overlap and have to get maybe 1 beep additional rest. OK they deal with it and keep to the set as close as possible.

The whole system is messy. Kids out at 6 on a set of 16 x 50, others make all 16. you have kids everywhere.Looks like we’re trying to herd cats at times. But it is fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.