Location and USRPT Status

Home Forums Location and USRPT Status

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    ivandiezruiz

Yes ofcourse,

SIT: SPRINT INTERVAL TRAINING
    RST: REPEATED SPRINT TRAINING
    SMIT: SUPRAMAXIMAL INTENSITY TRAINING
    RSA: REPATED SPRINT ABILITY

I think the attached pictures and some some autors can sumarize the USRPT BASIS

Buchheit
    Laursen
    Gibala
    Billat
    Vilas-Boas
    Costill
    Rushall

billyandchris
    Participant

Thanks!

vladi

Hi there, i’m from almeria (south of spain)and we’ve worked USRPT the last year.
    We are happy of this and we want to take one more step forward.

Best regards, i wish this will be “the begining of a beatiful frienship”

agswimcoach
    Participant

My name is Russell Peterson and I coach the boys swim team at Arroyo Grande high school. We are on the Central Coast of California, and we compete in the Pac-7 league in the CIF southern section division 2. I am a young coach in my second year of being the head coach at AG.

I have been implementing 2-3 USRP workouts a week for most of our season, and I have seen positive results. I tend to avoid doing high yardage workouts anyway and I like to keep the intensity up, even in my more traditional workouts. I really like the idea of repeating race pace efforts over and over. I used to do a lot of race pace work, but I would break it up more. The USRP format definitely makes more sense though than trying to break things up.

I have also noticed my swimmers have been able to drop time in their events more often, even though we are working very hard. The swimmers like the sets to- they stay more focused than they do when we do more traditional training, and they really push themselves to, as they see it as a challenge to avoid failing.

So in short, I have not fully converted to USRP but I am implementing it and I really have liked what I’ve seen so far- for sprinter and distance swimmers alike. In fact, I would say it has helped my 500 freestylers more than the sprinters so far.

One thing that I fear about implementing it full on is that it will get boring. Also, I have club swimmers who’s coaches don’t really agree with USRP.

Rick
    Participant

Hi, everybody. My name is Rick, and I am assistant HS coach in Pennsylvania. We implemented usrpt for our high school for the first time this year. We only get 75 minutes of pool time 5 days a week, so we needed to do something different than what other teams were doing with their twice daily practices. Results were very impressive. Those that only trained with us saw the most significant time drops. Those that trained with us and their club still improved, but not at the same level. We only averaged four practices a week (meets on other days), and we did 3 usrpt workouts a week. I plan to keep up the training over the summer and fully implement over the summer. For what it’s worth, our swimmers never seemed bored. They enjoyed the competitive aspect of the training and having a goal in mind each practice. Record keeping was a critical component of the program so that we could track improvement over time.

Evohunter7
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I am Evan Russell, Head Swim Coach at a Catholic Girls School based in Melbourne Australia.

I have been transitioning my top squad from ‘traditional’ training to USRPT over the past 6 weeks, with interesting results.

The most difficult thing to over come has been to educate the swimmers in how to train this way.

Interestingly, we have done probably 1/3rd of the amount of Km’s than we would have done this time last year, and in the last week they have all started to swim PB’s again in the 100’s and 200’s.

billratio
    Participant

Hello, I’m another Bill. I’m an assistant coach at a small club in MN. My head coach has given me permission to do 100% USRPT this season with my group. First practice was yesterday and my swimmers seemed to catch on fairly well. It was hard for some of them to always know what their time was. Hopefully it’ll get easier as they go.

Do any of you have experience with clocks that would make it easier for the swimmers to keep track of their times when we are using an interval like :55? I don’t want to have to read times all practice. I’d prefer to watch them swim instead. 🙂

"Most people have the will to win. Few have the will to prepare to win."

Greg McMullen
    Participant

My name is Greg McMullen and I am about to get started as an assistant coach for the Northern Kentucky Clippers.

Previously, I served as an Assistant at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology and at Red Devil Aquatic Club and Pike High School. These programs used the “traditional” model.

I was finally able to get a grip on Coach Urbancheck’s aerobic/anaerboic pacing and am interested in learning more about USRPT for a much broader vision of where to take my coaching.

Tyloma
    Participant

Greg,
    can you first give me you understanding the coach Urbanchecks aerobic/anareobic pacing? I feel I can respond better as it would apply the USPRT. As well, I feel I am missing something in the pacing myself.
    much appreciated.
    Lyle

Greg McMullen
    Participant

Lyle,

From a very high level the idea was to increase aerobic capacity through various levels of training. These levels include Recover, Aerobic, Anaerobic Threshold and VO2MAX.

All of these different levels have a color (White, Red, Blue, Purple, Green) or level (EN-1,2,3, SP-1,2-3 etc.) associated with them. Some coaches use the idea “the color of this set should be the color of your face.” Meaning that if you are white, it’s easy, if you are purple you should work as hard as possible.

Each level of training is based on the 100 average of a timed 30 minute swim (or some variation) and is tested on a regular basis.

Here’s a basic winter season cycle based on the Urbancheck system:

1st Macro – Skill Development
    – 40% of season
    – 3 weeks of skill development
    – 50% Aerobic Training / Skill Development
    – Heart rate avg < 150bpm
    – 50% Aerobic – Anaerobic Threshold – VO2MAX – Lactate
    – Drop taper for mid season meet
    2nd Macro – Endurance and Speed
    – Middle 50% of season
    – 3 Weeks of aerobic endurance
    – 10 weeks all training zones; multiple meets per month
    – More emphasis on VO2MAX and lactate production
    3rd Macro – Taper
    – ~10% of season
    – Strength training reduced, maintenance only
    – Training reduction from 70k to 30k per week

As you can see in the 3rd macro, training volume is very heavy. Some people would be training 70k+. This is the system I’m the most familiar with and over the last 2 years results have been varied from athlete to athlete, but were overall a success. 4 NCAA D3 All-Americans, 40+ school records fell and 20+ All Conference winners came from this type of program.

It does work, but as I stated. The results do vary from person to person, and nothing is predictable. We’ve had many disappointing swims from meet to meet.

tombison

Hi everyone. Tomas Bisono here. It’s an honor to be a part of this cutting edge community. My experience with USRPT has been awesome. I’m personally using it as my main training method to prepare to participate in next August’s World Masters Swimming Championships, to be held in Montreal Canada.

What has impressed me the most about USRPT is how fast I have been able to adapt to race pace training, and my times show it. I have been able to go times in practice that I was doing in meets at the age of 35. I’m 41 now.

In addition, as a partner in a local swim clinic business (based out of the Dominican Republic) we’ve put some of our athletes through this training method and the results have been unbelievable.

I look forward to sharing more of my experience and to participate in the USRPT dialogue.

Happy Easter everyone.

Regards,

Tomas E. Bisono

Tyloma
    Participant

Hi Tomas
    I too will be at Montreal. I have been using USPRT for about 2 months. My last meet about 3 weeks ago I swam slower. HOwever, the pacing was very ideal for me.
    Can you give me a few pointers on you sucess?
    The USRPT itself I feel I am doing the right things. It is between sets or warming up that maybe I am missing something. As well, the “taper” maybe I did not do more warm up type swim??
    My shorter races are faster. but my mid-distance and distance is slow. I attribute this to lack of volume of USRPT ie I am not at 20×100 holding mile pace yet.
    Again, any suggestions you have, I am happy to recieve.
    swimmingly yours
    Lyle

tombison

Hi Lyle, when I originally started training USRPT, the transition was rough. Slowly, I started to make more repeats while decreasing the target time. I’m a backstroker since childhood and having gone through the traditional training method, both as a club athlete and in college, it seemed like too little volume to get myself prepared for my biggest meet in the last 5 years. I’m happy to say I was mistaken.

One aspect that really helped me was instituting a pre-warmup dynamic stretching routine that includes myofascial release and mobility exercises. This has made a huge difference in how I feel in the water during pool warmup. I have been able to drop the length of my warmup to 300 to 500 meters. Once I get the desired feel-for-the-water I jump straight into the 1st USRPT set. I recommend you get a copy of Dr. G. John Mullen’s “Mobility for Swimmers” ebook. You won’t regret it!

Another aspect that has worked well for me, and it comes straight from Dr. Rushall’s “playbook” is trying not to think how many repeats I have swam and how many more I have until the set is finished (well, you are not expected to finish the set). Now, easier said than done, specially when you start to pile on the repeats.

Finally, I have taken the principle of specificity seriously. Although I can “hold my own” in all three backstroke distances, I decided to concentrate in the 100 backstroke. 90% of my USRPT sets are designed to work exclusively on 100 bk race-pace.

Those things have put my ahead of schedule as far as my preparation for World Masters. Now I look forward to work on the visualization aspect of my races and on the fine-tuning (starts, turns and underwaters).

Hope that helps to stear you in the right direction. You can contact me via email at tomasbisono@gmail.com or via Skype: tomas_bisono.

Andrew Alatorre
    Participant

Hello everyone, Andrew from California
    Currently training at University High School and have not started USRPT training at all, really hoping I do between high school seasons. I also do not swim club because of money reasons, but hope to achieve the speed of club swimmers with self-training & help from this community. My current favorite events are the 200Y Individual Medley, 200Y Free, 100Y Free, 100Y Breast, and 50Y Free and Breast for Relays. In future, turning at the age of 18 in a couple of years I wish to become a master coach as some of you are & train possible future Olympians with USRPT.

Ben Van Dyk
    Participant

Hi. My name is Ben and I am Head Coach for the YMCA Swim team on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. I’ve been integrating more race pace training in my workouts over the past 2 years with good results. I’m studying USRPT to see if this will work. I have concerns over the repetitive nature of workouts, therefore it seems like Salo’s approach might be more appealing to my athletes. Comments would be welcomed. Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.